Buttermilk Brownies are a classic, nostalgic recipe. The brownies are soft, with a tender crumb topped with chocolate frosting!
Brownies are one of those simple recipes that seem to have endless adaptations, while all still remaining very similar. You can add candy, caramel, fudge, chocolate chips…to name a few…to reinvent the classic dessert. I definitely have more than one favorite recipe for sure. But these Buttermilk Brownies are definitely a classic recipe that never seem to need any “doctoring up”.
And I mean who doesn’t love a good brownie, right?
These are simple, nostalgic and delicious…everything a brownie should be.
Honestly, if you like thick, stick-to-your-teeth fudgy brownies, this recipe might not be for you. This recipe produces a soft, cake-like brownie with a tender crumb and frosting that you spread on when the brownies are warm. The frosting slightly melts into the brownies and sets up like a thin layer of sweet fudge.
BUT if you like delicious things this is DEFINITELY FOR YOU!
The batter is simple and you don’t even have to use a mixer, which I love.
When they are just about done baking make your frosting, so it’s ready when they come out…
I really love frosting these brownies warm, so it melts into the brownies a bit.
Oh my yes!
Another great thing about this recipe is it makes huge tray, which is perfect for parties.
Oh and chocolate sprinkles on top. Because sprinkles.
And delicious! They’re a cross between a dense cake and brownie…and don’t skip the frosting!
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 slightly beaten eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- chocolate sprinkles to garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 10x15 jelly roll pan with aluminum foil and coat lightly with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a saucepan combine butter, cocoa, both sugars, and water. Bring to boil and then immediately remove from the heat.
- In small bowl combine buttermilk, eggs and vanilla; whisk lightly with a fork. Slowly add this to the warm chocolate mixture, stirring constantly.
- Pour this into the dry ingredients, and mix until smooth.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes or until the center is set.
- When there is about 5 minutes left for the brownies to bake make your frosting.
- In a saucepan, butter, cocoa powder and buttermilk. Cook on medium heat until just boiling and remove from heat.
- Whisk in the powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Immediately pour/spread the frosting over warm brownies.
- Sprinkle with sprinkles immediately.
- Serve warm or room temperature.