These Cookies and Cream Chess Squares are ridiculously easy and super fudgy and soft. You guys will love these!
When you’re dealing with Oreos and baking, there seems to be endless possibilities.
I, myself, have dipped into the “Cookies and Cream Pool” a time or two.
Dude, I need to get more creative!
Anyway, I have never made Chess Squares here on Cookies and Cups…so I decided that needed to happen.
Actually I decided that before I actually knew what a Chess Square was. So I looked it up.
Turns out Chess Squares are what I know as Gooey Butter Cake.
I could be wrong, and I am sure someone will tell me what the exact difference is…but the recipes I found online are remarkably similar…just “rebranded”. Not sure which came first. Kinda don’t really care.
Because call them what you will, they are delicious!!
I mean, chocolate cake mix, cream cheese and Oreo cookies are players here. It’s like the baking trifecta.
Let’s have a look…
And since these all start with a cake mix base they go together super fast. It takes longer to let your cream cheese come up to room temp, honestly!
Coarsely crush your Oreos…I prefer large hunks in this one!
Mix them with some cream cheese and powdered sugar and spread it all on top.
Bake the whole thing together and you got this…
Slice them when they’re still warm and OMGGGG.
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 4 eggs, divided
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- 15 Oreo cookies, coarsely crushed
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Lightly spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- Mix cake mix with 1 egg and melted butter until combined. Mixture will be thick. Press into prepared pan. Set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer beat cream cheese until smooth, add in eggs and vanilla and mix, scraping sides as needed. Add in powdered sugar and mix until combined. Finally stir in crushed Oreos.
- Spread this mixture onto chocolate base and bake for 40-50 minutes until center is set.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.