So, I was browsing through my mom’s recipe cards and saw this doozy.
Candy in the crock? Intrigued, I was.
I mean, using my crock pot for more than stew or pulled pork? Interesting.
I honestly I don’t remember my mother ever making candy in the slow cooker, but I am sure she had the best of intentions. I mean, have you seen MY pin boards? Good intentions must be genetic.
So I decided to take it to google, the almighty dream-crusher, to see if my mom was an genius recipe inventor. Well. Apparently crock pot candy is a whole thing.
But since it was new to me, I thought it might be new to you too.
Let’s discuss Crock Pot Candy, kay?
Honestly, it couldn’t be easier…
Just chop up a few different types of chocolate and throw them in the crock pot.
I started, though, with some chopped hazelnuts on the bottom..just for a little crunch…and also I *think* the nuts might help prevent the chocolate from burning on the bottom…I could be wrong, though.
Next I put in some semi-sweet chips…
Topped those off white candy melts…
Then I let it sit on low for about 3 hours.
I used my 4 quart Crock Pot which is all old-timey looking…
After 3 hours, I stirred it all together…
Here’s where I took matters into my own hands. Since I used hazelnuts, I thought it might be nice to swirl in some Nutella. Why not?
Then I lined a mini muffin tin with cupcake liners and dropped it by heaping tablespoon sized portions into the liners…
Then I added some toffee bits. For good health.
Aren’t they pretty?
And then, since I can’t leave well enough alone I decided to make some more in big cupcake liners. And then maybe also drop an entire Reese’s Cup in there too…
Sometimes it’s important to go there.
And THEN I thought, well, these might be good salted up…so I added a pretzel and some sea salt. Yum!
They set up pretty quickly and then you’ll have fancy candies.
That you made in your least-fancy appliance.
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts (you could use any nuts you prefer)
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2½ pounds white almond bark, white candy melting disks or white chocolate chips
- *optional ¾ cup Nutella
- *optional 1 cup toffee bits
- In a 4 quart crock pot layer nuts, semi-sweet chocolate and almond bark or candy melts. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours.
- When 3 hours is up, stir all the ingredients together and swirl in Nutella, if desired.
- Line 2 mini muffin pans with liners and drop by heaping tablespoon into liners.
- Sprinkle with toffee bits, if desired.