Here is my Swiss meringue Buttercream recipe and tutorial!
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (I used vanilla bean paste)
- 5 large egg whites
- 1¼ cup sugar
- 1 pound (4 sticks) butter, cut into tablespoons, room temperature..I used salted butter, just a personal preference
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (I used vanilla bean paste)
- Combine egg whites and sugar into the heatproof bowl of a standing mixer set over a pan of simmering water, much like a double boiler. Whisk constantly by hand until the mixture is sugar has dissolved (the mixture should feel completely smooth when rubbed between your fingertips, no grainy sugar), approx 2 minutes.
- Put mixing bowl on mixer and using the whisk attachment start mixing. Begin on low, raising the speed up to medium high. Beat until stiff peaks form, about 10 minutes.
- Now add your butter, 2 tablespoons at a time. Beating on medium until each addition of butter is added.
- Now add your vanilla.
- Remove the whisk attachment and replace it with your paddle attachment.
- Mix with paddle for 2 minutes on low speed working out the air bubbles.
- Makes enough frosting to cover and fill 1 8" layer cake