This Lemon Cream Cheese Braid is a sweet bread filled with creamy lemon cream cheese filling! I’ve partnered with Fleischmann’s® Yeast on this easy and delicious recipe.
Can you even believe it’s officially spring? I know I say this every year, but where is time going? Unfortunately, right now my lawn is still covered with a healthy dose of snow from the rogue snowstorm we had here in the Northeast last week, but I’m choosing to go by the calendar and not Mother Nature this year. I am ready for tulips, daffodils, and all the pastel colors.
Spring also means, for me, all the bright citrus flavors. I decided to start it off right this year with the this gorgeous Lemon Cream Cheese Braid, a recipe I adapted from Fleischmann’s website. I started from scratch on this one, baking a little extra, by making my own sweet dough, with the help of Fleischmann’s® Rapid Rise™ Yeast, which only requires one rise. Then layered in all the bright lemon and creamy filling goodness.
This is the perfect sweet treat to enjoy with your family for Easter breakfast or serve up for another springtime occasion. You might also want to make a little extra and surprise your neighbors, friends or family.
The feeling of making the dough from scratch is pretty awesome. And using Rapid Rise™ Yeast makes it an easy and quick process.
I used lemon zest and vanilla in the dough to really make it sweet and flavorful.
The dough is silky smooth and rolls out very easily…
Then you make a simple cream cheese filling spread that down the middle…
You cut the edges of the dough about 1- inch thick using a knife and then fold it over in an alternating pattern. It was actually really fun to make!
See how pretty?
And then you bake it…which actually makes it even prettier!
I mean gorgeous…
And, of course, it’s totally not optional to add the simple icing.
You can wait for it to cool off or go ahead and enjoy it while it’s warm.
I know you will love this one! You could try it using any citrus fruit you like!
- 1 envelope Fleischmann's® Rapid Rise Yeast
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2¾ - 3 cups all purpose or bread flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (8 ounce block) cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, or the bowl of your stand mixer mix together dry yeast, salt, and ¾ cup flour.
- In a medium, microwave safe bowl heat milk, sugar and butter to very warm (120° to 130°F). Add these to the dry ingredients and mix until moistened. Add the egg and vanilla and continue mixing until smooth. Add in 2 cups flour and mix until a soft dough forms. If needed, add the remaining ¼ cup flour. The dough shouldn't be sticky.
- Using a dough hook, mix the dough for 6 minutes on medium-low speed. Alternately, you can knead the dough by hand for 6-6 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough with a clean dish towel and allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a clean bowl, mix together the cream cheese, lemon juice and powdered sugar until creamy and smooth. Set aside.
- Once dough is done resting, roll it out on a lightly floured surface until it's approximately 17x10 inches. Transfer the dough to a large baking sheet, lined with parchment paper.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture down the middle of the dough, long-wise, creating a strip that's approximately 4-inches in diameter. Using a knife, or kitchen shears, cut the dough into 1- inch strips on each of the dough, just to edge of the filling. Alternate from side to side, starting at the top, folding the strips on a slight angle across the filling, overlapping.
- Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place 45 to 60 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- In a medium bowl whisk together powdered sugar, lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon of milk until smooth. Drizzle on top of the braid.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or at room temperature for up to 2 days.
I have partnered with Fleischmann’s® Yeast to create this recipe. I only partner with brands that I use in my kitchen. All opinions expressed are 100% my own.