If you all follow me on facebook then you are aware of my current situation.
I presently have no power due to Hurricane Irene.
I will not go on and on about how much it stinks to not have power…because I know you all get it.
AND we don’t have very much damage to our home, so I know we are very lucky.
Here’s the thing, though…as you all know I’m not an “outdoorsy” type…having just mused about that very subject a few weeks ago.
The thing about no power is it’s basically like camping, but worse.
It’s worse because I would imagine that camping is a choice…unless you are held hostage by Survivorman or something.
Being stuck inside, with no control over the power situation feels, well, powerless.
I have the light switches taunting me…the television looking all sad and blank…and my oven going is going through withdrawls.
I feel like I am in a episode of Little House on the Prairie and Nellie Oleson works at the power company…every time I call in she smiles, her curls bouncing up and down relishing the fact that I am having to actually use a pencil to write and read a real life book.
My kids are “getting back to basics” playing with things like jump ropes and marbles. It’s only a matter of time before they start calling me “Ma” and asking to go to the General Store for a pack of gum or Necco Wafers. I know now that I was born in the appropriate century. There is pretty much no way I could survive on a prairie.
To get my mind off the other issues in my life I decided to spend the afternoon at my Mother in Law’s house…
She presently has power and internet and is always more than willing to make me indebted to her 😉
So here are some brownies that I made a few weeks ago. I have been waiting for the perfect opportunity to post them…and well, there’s no better time than the present!
While I always think you should make the stuff you see here, I have to say these are really good brownies. Really good…and the frosting, oh my word..it’s awesome ~ tastes just like a Whopper thanks to the yummy addition of Ovaltine!
Chop up some Whoppers (chocolate malt balls)
You can thank me later!
Recipe: Milk Chocolate Whopper Brownies
- 1 (11.5 oz) bag of milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chocolate malt mix (I used Ovaltine)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped chocolate milk balls (I used Whoppers)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spray a 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Melt milk chocolate and butter in a medium saucepan over low heat until the chocolate is just melted, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat. Stir in eggs, vanilla and brown sugar until combined.
- Stir in dry ingredients (flour, malt powder, baking powder and salt)
- Fold in your chopped malt balls (Whoppers)
- Spread the batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted 1 inch away from edge comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
If you cannot find chocolate malt mix (Ovaltine) you can sub in malted milk powder.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Recipe: Chocolate Malt Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup chocolate malt mix (Ovaltine)
- 1-2 Tbsp of milk
- In a mixer beat your butter until smooth.
- Add in over low speed your powdered sugar, Ovaltine and milk, 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue adding milk until the desired consistency is reached.
- Turn mixer up to medium and beat for 1 minute until frosting is smooth.
- Spread on cooled brownies.
- Top with extra chocolate malt balls for garnish, if desired.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
I would also like to say thank you to everyone who has sent well wishes while we have been going through this ordeal. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone still dealing with effects from Hurricane Irene.