Patriotic Chocolate Chip Cookies are red, white and blue, easy to make, and totally festive!
Let’s all get a little patriotic, shall we? Whether you are in full ‘Merica mode, or are a patriot on the inside, there is no reason that you can’t enjoy a chewy, chocolatey cookie that just happens to be red, white and blue. Of course, I used some pretty gold stars on top too…because…pretty. But those are totally optional.
This year for the 4th will be the second one in a row that my youngest kiddo is spending in a cast of some sort. Last year he fractured his heel with one week of school left, and this year he broke his arm on the first Monday of summer break. This kid sure doesn’t have the best luck…
BUT instead of swimming, he and I will be sitting on the patio with a few of these cookies in-hand. I say that’s a close second, yes?
The process is super easy. If you guys remember my Rainbow Chocolate Chip Cookies from a few weeks ago, they are what inspired these! The recipe is almost identical, but I wanted to dedicate a whole post to these, because I loved how they turned out so much!
All you do is make your cookie dough…
And divide it into 3, equal parts.
You will leave one portion plain, and you’ll dye one red…
And the other blue…
Roll each portion into a long log, place them next to each other on a sheet of cling wrap, and smush them together.
Then you just grab some dough, roll it into a ball and place it on your cookie sheet!
When they bake, they will be totally perfect. I promise you…
Now is when I sprinkled some of those cute stars on. If you are not using the foil stars, and rather regular sprinkles, you can even place them on top of the dough before you bake them…totally up to you!
I am pretty obsessed with these festive cookies and hope you love them! Have a great July 4th!
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- red and blue food coloring
- golden star sprinkles, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the butter and both sugars together for 2 minutes on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add in the egg, vanilla, salt, and baking soda and continue mixing for 1 minute until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Turn the mixer to low and add in the flour, mixing until just incorporated.
- Stir in the chocolate chips evenly.
- Divide the cookie dough into 3 equal portions. Using the food coloring, color one portion of the dough red, and the other blue, leaving one uncolored.
- Roll each dough into approximately a 15-inch rope. Place the three next to each other on a large piece of cling wrap. Wrap the cling wrap up tightly, pressing the doughs together forming a large log. Remove the cling wrap and breaking off the dough with your hands into approximately 2-tablespoon portions. Roll the dough into a loose ball and place it onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 9 minutes or until the edges are set. Don't over bake these!!
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 3-4 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- If desired sprinkle with star sprinkles, pressing them gently into the warm cookie.