This Philly Cheesesteak Mac n’ Cheese is a fun spin on the classic dish, incorporating two favorites into one!
Ok, so here we go.
This is my first full “dinner” post that I have ever done on Cookies and Cups!
Kinda nervous that you guys want all sweets all the time from me, but I have been at it for a bunch of years now and decided to try something different.
Clearly I’m still going to stick mostly to desserts…it’s what I do. But I thought sharing some of my families most favorite meals every now and then with you as well might be a welcome change.
This first dish is a go big or go home kinda thing.
It’s Philly Cheesesteak Mac’ Cheese. Two guy busters in one place.
But combining the two makes for a really lovely and filling meal.
I’ll be honest, my kids pick out the onions and peppers…because kids are weird.
And you could totally leave out the Cheesesteak portion of this altogether and have a creamy plain mac n’ cheese dinner on its own.
This recipe makes a deliciously smooth mac n’ cheese…basically like a “Shells and Cheese” kinda thing without the Velveeta.
Totally try it!
Ok, first get to chopping your onions.
And you peppers…
You’ll want to cook them up good. I don’t like onions that crunch, so I cooked and cooked these until nary a crunch could be found.
Next I sliced up some Roast Beef I got from the deli counter at the store…
And added that into the cooked onions and peppers until they were heated through…
Then I went ahead and cooked my pasta.
While the pasta is cooking I made the cheese sauce.
It’s 2 eggs, some evaporated milk, seasoned salt…
Provolone cheese..this is a cheesesteak pasta after all…
And of course cheddar.
Whisk that up over medium heat until it nice and melted and thick.
As soon as it’s melted add your cooked pasta.
I mean seriously….
And finally grab your reserved onions, peppers and roast beef and add that right in… Stir until evenly combined and dig in!
This recipe is a keeper for sure!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 2 medium green bell peppers, sliced
- ½ lb - ¾ lb of roast beef. sliced into small pieces
- 10 oz shell pasta
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup provolone, grated or thinly sliced
- 2 cups mild cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ tsp seasoned salt
- Put a large pot of water onto boil for pasta.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat olive oil on medium heat and saute onions and peppers until onions are translucent and there is no more crunch, about 10 minutes.
- Add sliced roast beef and cook until heated through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Water should be boiling by now. Add pasta and cook until al dente, according to package directions.
- Reserve 1 cup pasta water.
- In a large Dutch Oven or saucepan whisk together eggs, evaporated milk, seasoned salt and both cheeses over medium heat. Continue whisking until cheese is melted and mixture is thick.
- Add pasta into cheese mixture. Add reserved pasta water a few tablespoons at a time until mixture reaches desired consistency. Discard any remaining pasta water.
- Stir in onions, pepper and roast beef, coating with cheese mixture, stirring until evenly combined.
- Serve immediately.