Toasted Coconut Banana Bread is soft, moist and sweetened with ripe bananas, brown sugar and toasted coconut!
I know, I know…you’re like WHY? I don’t need another banana bread recipe!!
But wait. You do. You really do.
Is there ever too much banana bread in the world? I’m fairly certain the answer is no sir. Because I really give zero cares anymore about regular banana bread. Is that too harsh?
But I mean really, if you had the choice between regular banana bread and banana bread with say…toffee bits to make it sweet and caramelized…which would you choose? Toffee all day err day. Oh, and there happens to be an epic Toffee Speckled Banana Bread recipe in MY BOOK, which if you haven’t gotten yet you NEED it!
But back to my point. 2016 is all about modern banana bread. I’ve just decided this.
And really doesn’t toasted coconut just BELONG in banana bread? I mean it’s almost offensive it’s taken me this long…
The steps are easy and basic and nothing you can’t handle.
Also toasted coconut is just purty.
The batter is a breeze…
Just line the bottom of your pan long-wise with parchment so the ends stick out. This a) prevents sticking and b) helps remove the bread from the pan easily!
Now here’s where I am going to throw a wrench into your plan…
This bread is great warm. I mean, of course it is.
BUT if you have a little self restraint, go ahead and wrap the cooled bread up tightly in cling wrap and let it hang out overnight. I don’t know what the midnight hours do to this bread but the results are magical. Everything just has a minute to mingle and get acquainted…the flavors couple up and the texture becomes softer. I don’t know the sciencey bits behind this, I just know it happens.
And then when the time is right eat it. With butter.
It would be wrong not to.
- 1½ cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (2 to 3 medium bananas)
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, in its liquid state
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spay a 9x5 loaf pan with nonstick spray. Line the bottom and up the short sides with parchment paper and spray again. Set aside.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat toast the coconut until it becomes lightly golden. Remove from the heat immediately. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Mix together the eggs, banana, coconut oil,and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir to combine.
- Stir in the coconut and pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then remove from the pan using the parchment paper and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
So after it's cooled, wrap it tightly in cling wrap and and store it at room temperature overnight.