Rainbows! Sprinkles! Unicorn Bars! Let’s all smile together now.
If ever there was a recipe designed to make you happy, this is it. These are Unicorn Bars and they are buttery, sprinkle filled joy.
It’s the middle of January and I need a little magic. The days right now are gray and cold and I’m craving a rainbow and some sunshine. In a major way.
Cold weather makes we want to cozy up, watch Netflix, top foods with excess cheese and of course, bake. I see that people on Instagram are still drinking their green resolution juices and cleansing themselves and I just think it’s precious. I’m sure they think it’s equally as precious that I only fit into my sweatpants right now.
I feel like I have maybe 3 1/2 more weeks of disorderly eating before I really need to start thinking about fitting into my shorts once again. I am basically an expert in diet-procrastination math.
Anyhow, last week I needed a little extra happy to go with my day so I decided to pull out my giant jar of sprinkles.
All the dreary January vibes don’t stand a chance against this many sprinkles.
The inspo for these bars is one of my most favorite cupcakes in all the land, the Unicorn and Rainbows cupcake from Baked and Wired in Washington DC. Those cupcakes are so everything, and if you’re in DC you have to stop and get one. But since I’m sitting here in New Jersey in my sweats I took a little artistic liberty and created these buttery, sprinkle filled bars in their honor.
They come together in a pinch…no mixer required.
I used melted butter in the dough, so all you need is a bowl and a spoon!
And LOTS of sprinkles.
Just spread the magic into a 9×13…
And they bake up pretty perfect.
There is no baking soda or powder in this recipe, so the bars don’t rise too much…but that also means they bake perfectly even.
Once they’re cooked you can totally eat them on their own. They’re soft and chewy sugar cookie bars that everyone will love.
BUT let’s all pretend buttercream has no calories and top it with beautiful blue clouds of frosting.
And more sprinkles too. I recommend using a heavy hand.
They slice up like a dream and will be gone in a flash.
Your January suddenly got more magical.
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup sprinkles
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- blue food coloring
- sprinkles for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13 pan with foil and coat with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the butter and sugar. Add in the vanilla, eggs and salt and whisk until smooth. Using a rubber spatula stir in the flour until just combined. Finally stir in the sprinkles.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the edges are set. The bars might seen underdone, but allow them to cool completely.
- In the bowl of the stand mixer beat the butter for 1-2 minutes until it's smooth. Turn the mixer to low and slowly add in the powdered sugar. Next add in 2 tablespoons of milk and mix on medium speed until it's creamy, scraping the sides as necessary. If the frosting is too stiff add in 1 more tablespoon of milk until the desired consistency is reached. Finally add in 1-2 drops of blue fool coloring and mix until a pale blue color is reached and evenly mixed.
- Pipe or spread the frosting on top of the bars.
- Garnish with more sprinkles if desired.