The BEST Chocolate Chip Banana Bread recipe uses a secret method to get extra banana flavor and texture! You’ll use this recipe forever!
Before you start yawning at yet ANOTHER Banana Bread recipe, please, please give me a chance to explain. I mean I get it, you’re probably wondering why mine is the best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread? You have your Granny’s recipe that is the best. Or you’ve made my Toasted Coconut Banana Bread and don’t think you need to look any further. But I am not one to leave well enough alone…you know that about me by now.
I mean way, way back I made Peanut Butter Cup Banana Bread and thought it was the greatest thing that ever existed. Then I tried Brown Sugar Banana Bread…and yep, I thought the search was over. Repeat this again and again…
And while I still stand solidly behind ALL of my banana bread recipes, this chocolate chip banana bread that I am sharing with you today is EVERYTHING. Like, I am fairly certain I will never post another banana bread recipe here on Cookies & Cups.
That was a pretty bold statement.
Why is this the BEST Banana Bread?
Let me explain why this is the last recipe you’ll ever need. First off, it’s outrageously moist (sorry). This recipe has butter as well as sour cream, which not only make it unbelievably soft, they also give great flavor, as opposed to a lot of banana bread recipes that are made with oil. Of course I use walnuts in this recipe, that you can omit if you must, but I urge you not to, at least the first time you make this recipe.
BUT the real secret to this recipe on supreme moistness and banana flavor is…wait for it…SLICED BANANAS. You add some mashed and some thinly sliced. Is your mind blown yet?
Adding the sliced bananas into the bread leaves little pockets of banana that you wouldn’t normally have when it’s mashed. Not enough that it is mushy, that wouldn’t be good… just the exact perfect thing your banana bread has been missing all along. I’m telling you, this is legit.
Of course you can totally omit the chocolate chips if you are a purest…I have made this both ways.
But like I said, the sliced bananas are the magic…
You’ll just want to fold them in with the other extras…
And then sprinkle some extra chocolate chips on top for posterity.
The thing with this chocolate chip banana bread is that it’s out of control delicious when it’s warm…but it is also SO GOOD the next day! The flavors have a chance to blend together and get really soft and friendly.
But since I know you too well, you’ll slice it warm…
…and then add butter. It’s the right choice.
Friends. Please try this Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe asap and report back. I am positively positive you will love me forever.Print
- 3 medium bananas, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick spray. Line the bottom and up the short sides with a strip of parchment paper. Spray again with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl mash 2 of the bananas with a fork, leaving them slightly lumpy. Slice the remaining banana thinly, and set aside.
- In a large bowl stir together the butter and sugar. Mix in the eggs and vanilla and stir until smooth. Add the sour cream, mashed bananas, baking soda, and salt, and stir until blended. Next mix in the flour until incorporated.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, walnuts, and sliced banana.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, and then using the parchment paper as handles, carefully lift the banana bread out of the pan to cool on a wire rack.
store airtight for up to 3 days
Helpful tip… Out of sour cream? Here’s a great sour cream substitution!