Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup is a flavor packed soup recipe that is perfect to make ahead on busy nights.
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup Is A Recipe You’ll Make Again and Again!
I am all about an easy, slow cooker, flavor packed dinner. Plus, we do love our Tex-Mex around here…so this chicken tortilla soup is an obvious hit in my house! It’s a little creamy, but not too creamy…it’s a little spicy, but not too spicy…it’s the perfect vehicle to add all my favorite garnishes…or no garnishes at all, AND it feeds a crowd…or just your family with leftovers for the week!
So, basically it’s kind of the perfect meal for us, and I think you will enjoy it too!
Ingredients You’ll Need For Chicken Tortilla Soup:
This soup includes all simple ingredients, and if you do regular Taco Tuesdays, you might have most of these in your kitchen now!
- Onions & Garlic: I microwave the onions before adding them to the slow cooker to start the cooking process and soften them up.
- Boneless Chicken Breasts
- Spices: Chili Powder, Cumin, Smoked Paprika, Salt and Pepper
- RoTel: Or you can just used diced tomatoes and a can of diced greed chilis.
- Adobo Sauce from a can of Chipotles in Adobo. Add a diced chipotle pepper for more heat if you like things spicy!
- Black Beans: Or really any type of beans you like.
- Corn: Canned or frozen will work.
- Chicken Broth: Any brand you like, but I love Trader Joe’s Organic Chicken Broth!
- Heavy Cream: You can skip this is you are trying to stay dairy free…or add a little more if you want to make this a more creamy soup. I add just a splash to add a little richness.
Do You Have To Make This Soup In The Slow Cooker?
Absolutely not. You can easily make this soup on the stove top in a big dutch oven. You basically follow all the steps in the same way, just bring the soup to a boil, cover and reduce it to medium-low for about a hour, or until the chicken shreds easily.
Let’s Talk Garnishes!
You can see from my pictures that we really go crazy with soup toppers. I even go the extra mile and fry up some corn tortilla strips, making my own tortilla chips. But you can absolutely just use bagged tortilla chips too! Here are some of our favorite garnishes:
- Tortilla Chips
- Grated Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Lime Wedges
- Salsa or Pico de Gallo
Looking For More Soup Recipes? Try These:Print
These easy slow cooker soup is an easy weeknight dinner that everyone loves!
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (10- ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilis (like RoTel)
- 1 tablespoon Adobo Sauce (from a can of chipotle in adobo), optional also add one finely chopped chipotle pepper for heat
- 1 (15- ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups canned or frozen corn
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Tortilla chips to serve
- sour cream
- grated cheese
- lime wedges
- Place the diced onions in a small heat-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes, or until softened.
- Place the chicken breasts in your slow cooker. Add in the softened onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, canned tomatoes, Adobo sauce, black beans, corn, and chicken broth.
- Stir ingredients together, cover and cook on high for 4 hours or 6 hours on low.
- Remove the chicken from the soup and shred. Place chicken back in the soup and add the heavy cream. Stir to combine.
- Serve warm.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords:: cookies and cups, chicken tortilla soup, crockpot, slow cooker, soup recipe
Want To Save This Recipe?
PIN for later: