This Easy Chicken Divan is a classic chicken casserole recipe. I updated this chicken and broccoli family favorite and there’s no condensed soup!
I am always looking for an easy chicken recipe for our weeknight dinners. And really, what’s better than a chicken casserole? This Easy Chicken Divan recipe can be prepped in minutes and using a rotisserie chicken makes everything easier! This dish is a family favorite that my kids devour.
What is Chicken Divan?
Chicken Divan was a chicken casserole that I grew up eating. My mom was a casserole queen, and this one was in regular rotation. Essentially Chicken Divan is a creamy chicken and broccoli casserole recipe, topped with cheese and breadcrumbs. It is kid-friendly and is sure to be an instant favorite if you’ve never had it!
I updated my mom’s recipe a little bit. I left out the condensed soup in my recipe, and added a LOT more broccoli. We are big broccoli people, so this was an easy variation.
My mom always served this over white rice, but you can certainly serve it over brown rice, pasta, or even stuffed in a baked potato!
How Do You Make Chicken Divan?
The beauty of this Easy Chicken Divan Recipe is that is is ULTRA easy! Like I said before, you can even use rotisserie chicken in this and save the step of cooking the chicken!
All you do is place chicken and broccoli in a baking dish and cover it all with an easy cream sauce mixture!
Can You Use Fresh Broccoli Instead of Frozen in Chicken Divan?
The answer is yes! You can use fresh broccoli in place of frozen (and thawed) broccoli in this chicken casserole recipe. BUT you will need to lightly blanche the fresh broccoli in boiling water to cook it slightly before mixing it with the chicken. If you skip this step, the broccoli will remain very crunchy in the casserole.
What Could I Use in Place of Broccoli in Chicken Divan?
Options to sub in for broccoli are:
- Green Beans
- Brussels Sprouts
Looking for more Easy Chicken Recipes? Try these:Print
This Easy Chicken Divan Recipe is a classic casserole updated! No condensed soup in this recipe!
- 4 cups cubed, or shredded chicken
- 24-32 ounces frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon, I prefer ‘Better Than Bouillon’ or use 2 bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the chicken and broccoli evenly. Place the mixture into the prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, heavy cream, chicken broth, bouillon, and pepper. Pour the sour cream mixture evenly on top of the chicken and broccoli.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly on top.
- In a medium bowl combine the butter, salt, and breadcrumbs. Evenly sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top of the cheese layer.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until warmed through and toasted on top.
- Serve warm.
You can serve this Chicken Divan over rice, pasta, or on its own. You can even stuff the mixture into a baked potato!
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords: cookies and cups, chicken recipe, chicken, casserole, easy