makes 16 brownies
- 1 (18.5 oz) box Spice Cake Mix
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 15 oz unwrapped caramels
- additional 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line a 9×9 pan with foil. Make sure foil comes up high on all sides. Spray very liberally with cooking spray.
- In large bowl combine cake mix, 1/3 cup evaporated milk and melted butter. Stir until combined. Mixture will be thick.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Divide dough in half and press half into bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- While baking melt caramels and additional 1/2 cup evaporated milk over medium low heat in a medium saucepan until smooth.
- When bottom layer is done, remove from oven and pour caramel over top.
- Flatten remaining dough on a floured work surface and place on top of caramel. Mine ripped here and there, so place it as best you can.
- Bake an additional 20-25 minutes.
- Cool pan on a wire rack completely. Cover brownies and chill for at least 2 hours.
- When ready to serve remove brownies from pan using the foil and cut into squares.
recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman