What is a Butter Swim Biscuit? These classic biscuits are special in that they’re exceptionally moist and soft, yet flaky and light, and full of flavor. This is because they’re cooked in butter that steams as the dough bakes, trapping pockets of air inside.
1. Place the cubed butter in a 9x9 pan, and pop it in the oven while it preheats. Let it warm until the butter is just melted.
2. Whisk the dry ingredients, then add the buttermilk. Stir with a wooden spoon until a sticky dough forms. Do not overmix!
3. Remove the pan of melted butter from the oven and add the biscuit dough into the pan on top of the butter. Spread to the edges with a spoon or spatula.
4. Pour additional melted butter over the dough, then cut the unbaked biscuits into 9 even-sized squares.
5. Bake the biscuits for about 20 minutes, until the tops are crispy and golden brown. Serve warm.
ENJOY! These buttery biscuits are perfect to serve with a hearty soup or stew. They are also a delicious breakfast, served with smear of jam!