What type of potatoes are best for soup? A starchy type of potato, like Russet, is best for a creamy soup. They will break down and thicken the soup nicely. A waxy potato, like Yukon Gold, can be used, but would result in a more chunky soup (still yummy!).
1. Set the Instant Pot to sauté, and cook the onions in a bit of oil. Add the garlic and cook for another minute, until fragrant.
2. Add the potatoes, broth, and seasonings to the pot. Seal the lid and cook on high pressure for 9 minutes.
3. Quick release the pressure, then remove half the potatoes from the pot. Puree the potatoes using an immersion blender, and return the puree to the pot.
4. Stir in the cubed cheese until melted, followed by the sour cream and half and half.
5. Once everything is combined, garnish the soup with shredded cheese, a sprinkle of chives, and bacon for a fully-loaded effect!
DIG IN! Pair your soup with a green salad for a bistro-style meal, or with some crusty bread for dipping!