makes 8 scones
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 heaping cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 8 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and chopped
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream, to brush on top
- optional ~ 2 Tbsp chopped chives
- optional ~ 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- in a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and garlic powder (if adding). Using a pastry cutter, mix in the cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Stir in cheddar cheese. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine 3/4 cup heavy cream, chopped bacon and chives (If adding).
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients and pour heavy cream mixture into the well. Using your hands or a fork work the dough until it comes together adding the 2 Tbsp of extra heavy cream as needed. Dough will be slightly dry, but will hold together.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough for 1 minute and form into a circle, about 1 inch thick.
- Place dough onto prepared baking sheet and cut into 8 equal triangles. Separate the triangles and bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden.
- Serve warm.
adapted from Midwest Living magazine