We call this “Food Court Chicken”! It’s just like the chicken they hand you when you walk through the food court on a toothpick! Sticky, sweet, and delicious!
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1– inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Optional – sliced green onions or chives to garnish
1. Make the sauce: In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, apple juice, water, vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, and black pepper. Set aside.
2. Brown the chicken: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium- high heat. Add the chicken to the skillet, stirring occasionally until browned and cooked through, 7-8 minutes.
3. Add sauce and cook: Add in the soy sauce mixture, and stir to combine. Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes, until the liquid has reduced by about half. In a small bowl mix the cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of cold water until smooth. Add this into the chicken and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute, as the mixture will thicken quickly.
4. Serve: Remove the pan from the heat and serve over rice. Top with green onions if desired.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Keywords:: cookies and cups, chicken recipe, bourbon chicken, asian chicken, asian recipe, chinese chicken, sticky chicken