Browned Butter Shortbread is one of my favorite holiday cookies. My version is a thick shortbread that’s cut into wedges and dipped in chocolate, with coarse sugar and flaked sea salt sprinkled on top! It’s so tasty!
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- optional – flaked sea salt and/or turbinado sugar for garnish
- In a medium saucepan on medium-low heat, melt the butter and bring it to a boil. Swirling the pot consistently continue to boil the butter until the milk solids begin to brown and the butter turns an amber color. Allow the butter to cool completely and becomes solid again. You can allow the butter to do this all at room temperature, or you can chill the butter in the refrigerator to firm it up quickly, but you will need to bring it back to room temperature before continuing.
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Coat a 10- inch springform pan with nonstick spray. Cut a parchment paper round to fit in the bottom of the pan. Place the round in the sprayed pan and spray again. Set aside.
- Once the butter is solid, at room temperature place in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the brown sugar and mix for 2 minutes on medium speed until pale in color.
- Add in the salt and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Turn the mixer to low and add in the flour, mixing until combined. The dough will be dry.
- Press the dough into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the edges are golden brown, and the center is set.
- Allow the shortbread to cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen and then remove the sides of the pan.
- Cut the shortbread into wedges while it is still warm, but don’t remove the slices from the pan until completely cooled.
- Once the shortbread is cooled, carefully remove each slice from the pan.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt the chocolate chips in 30 second increments, stirring after each. Dip the edge of the shortbread into the melted chocolate and place on to the parchment lined pan.
- Sprinkle the chocolate with flaked sea salt and turbinado sugar.
- Allow the chocolate to set.
- Store airtight for up to 5 days.
Keywords:: shortbread recipe, browned butter, holiday dessert recipe, holiday dessert, best christmas dessert, christmas dessert recipe, christmas recipe