My breakfast dreams came true when I made this Brown Sugar Crumb Cake. It’s a rich and soft brown sugar cake topped with a thick layer of brown sugar crumbs AND a brown sugar icing!
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar (I use dark but you can use either dark or light brown sugar)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (you can use either dark or light, I used dark)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 9×13 baking pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine all the crumb ingredients and using a pastry cutter or your hands combine the mixture until crumbs form. I usually start with my pastry cutter and then finish with my hands to form larger crumbs. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the butter and sugar together for 2 minutes. Add the eggs, vanilla, baking soda and salt and mix for an additional minute until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. Lower the speed of your mixer to low and In alternating additions add in the flour and yogurt, beginning and ending with the flour. Mix until smooth. Spread the batter in the prepared pan and spread the crumb mixture evenly on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the center is set and a toothpick comes out clean.
- In a medium saucepan combine the brown sugar, milk and butter on medium heat. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Immediately remove from the heat. Stir in the vanilla and whisk in the powdered sugar until no more lumps remain. Allow the icing to cool for 10-15 minutes, whisking occasionally until it thickens a bit and then drizzle on top of the warm cake.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
store airtight for up to 3 days.
I noted you can use dark or light brown sugar in this recipe. I used dark in the cake and light in the crumb and icing, but feel free to use all dark or all light.
Also, note you can add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to both the cake and the crumb if you would like a cinnamon flavored cake.
Keywords:: crumb cake, crumb cake recipe, brown sugar cake, breakfast cake, best breakfast recipe, make ahead breakfast, best cake recipe, homemade cake