- 2 lbs lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilis
- 1 (4 oz) can sliced black olives, drained
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 (16 oz) jar taco sauce
- 2 (16 oz) cans refried beans
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
- 12 (8 inch or medium sized) flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet cook ground beef for about 5 minutes, until about half way cooked. Add in diced onions and garlic and continue cooking until meat is completely cooked through and onions are soft, about 8 more minutes. Since you are using lean meat you probably won’t need to drain any excess fat, but if there is fat, drain that now.
- Add in cumin and cayenne pepper and stir until combined with meat.
- Add in olives, green chilis, taco sauce, refried beans and corn. Stir until mixed in evenly and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- While mixture is simmering, preheat oven to 350°.
- When ready to assemble Put about 1 1/2 cups of the meat mixture in the bottom of a 9×13 pan, just enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Layer that with 2 flour tortillas. I ripped up a tortilla and used that to help fill in the gaps. Top this with about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of the meat mixture. Continue layering until you use all your tortillas and top with the remaining meat mixture and then sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes before serving.
recipe lightly adapted from all recipes