These potatoes are incredibly indulgent and a great make ahead side dish!
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 5 pounds Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 8– ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg
- optional garnish – chives and bacon crumbles
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13 baking dish with 2 tablespoons of butter, set aside.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and fill with water until just covered.
- Bring the potatoes to a boil. Reduce heat to a low boil and cook for 20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Drain the potatoes and place them into a large bowl. Mash the potatoes using a hand masher.
- Add in the remaining 1/2 cup butter, cream cheese, sour cream, 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and egg.
- Using a hand mixer, beat the potatoes until all the ingredients are combined, and potatoes are creamy.
- Spread the potatoes into the prepared pan.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until heated through.
- Garnish with chives and/or bacon if desired.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To make ahead: Prep potatoes steps 1-7. Cover pan and place in the refrigerator until ready to bake. When ready, remove the pan from the refrigerator 20 minutes before baking to take the chill off. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes, covered. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until heated through.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 347
- Sugar: 1.8 g
- Sodium: 643.6 mg
- Fat: 19.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Protein: 10 g
- Cholesterol: 67 mg
Keywords: cookies and cups, mashed potatoes, baked mashed potatoes, side dish recipe, potato casserole