Looking for a delicious yet simple side dish to serve with dinner? This Cheesy Broccoli Casserole, made with fluffy instant rice, chopped broccoli, and a creamy cheese sauce, will have everybody asking for seconds!
- 20 ounces frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 3 cups cooked Instant Rice (Quick Cooking)*
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onion (approximately 1 small onion)
- 2 (10.75- ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (16- ounce) package processed American cheese (like Velveeta), cubed
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 35 Ritz crackers (1 sleeve), crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9×13 baking dish lightly with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Place the thawed broccoli on a paper towel lined counter or tray. Press to remove as much moisture as possible from the broccoli. Set aside.
- Cook the rice according to the package directions.
- While the rice is cooking, melt butter in a large, skillet (at least 3- inches deep) over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, 5 – 7 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add in the cream of chicken soup, milk, and cubed processed cheese. Stir until the cheese is just melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- Stir the broccoli and rice into the cheese mixture evenly.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and top with grated cheddar and crushed crackers.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until the crackers are golden and the mixture is bubbly.
*I use Instant Rice in this casserole for ease. If you prefer using regular cooking rice, I recommend using a Long Grain Rice.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords:: broccoli rice casserole, cheesy broccoli rice casserole, easy cheesy broccoli rice casserole, quick and easy casserole recipes, casserole dinner recipes