Weeknights just got a whole lot more delicious, with this cozy and comforting Sour Cream Noodle Bake! Prepared with layers of tangy meat sauce, sharp cheddar cheese, and tender egg noodles tossed in a creamy sour cream mixture.
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 24 ounces tomato sauce* see note
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cup cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Optional – garnish with parsley, green onions, or Parmesan Cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Make the Meat Sauce: In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef. Drain any excess fat. Add in the garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and Italian seasoning. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce. Reduce the heat to low and simmer while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Prep the Cheese Mixture: In a large bowl stir together the sour cream, cottage cheese, parsley, and remaining salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the egg noodles according to the package directions. Drain the noodles and add them into the cottage cheese mixture, stirring to coat.
- Assemble: Place half the noodles into your prepared pan. Top with half of the meat sauce and half of the cheddar cheese. Repeat with the noodles, meat sauce, and cheddar.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes, until bubbly. If you notice the top browning too quickly, lightly tent with aluminum foil.
- Garnish if desired and serve warm
*you can use anywhere from 16 – 24 ounces of sauce for this dish, depending on how saucy you prefer your casserole. My family likes more sauce, and we find it’s better for reheating with extra, but you can absolutely use less if you prefer!
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Keywords: pasta bake recipes, pasta casserole, beef noodle casserole