Creamy Chicken and Noodles is one of my families favorite dinners!
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 tablespoon Montreal Chicken Seasoning or seasoned salt
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups egg noodles, uncooked
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- optional – parsley to garnish
- Season chicken with the Montreal seasoning or seasoned salt. Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven combine the broth and water over high heat. Bring to a boil.
- Place the chicken into the boiling water, and reduce heat to medium-low, and boil uncovered for 20-25 minutes, until the chicken is tender, skimming off impurities that rise to the top.
- While the chicken is boiling heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onions for 5 minutes until softened. Add in the carrots, celery, salt, pepper and thyme and sauté for another 5 minutes, until vegetables are softened. Add in the minced garlic, cook for 2 more minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the boiling broth and shred using 2 forks.
- Place the chicken back into the broth and add in the sautéd vegetables and the dry noodles.
- Bring back to a boil and cook the noodles for 12-15 minutes, or until desired softness.
- When the noodles are almost done cooking, melt the butter in the same skillet you cooked the vegetables over medium heat. Once melted, whisk in the flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until lightly golden. Ladle in 1 cup of the hot broth from the soup, continuing to whisk until well blended. Add in the heavy cream, whisk until smooth and then add this into the soup, stirring until combined and creamy. Bring back to a boil and then turn off the heat.
- Garnish with parsley if desired.
You can use bone-in chicken for this recipe as well if desired.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days
Keywords:: cookies and cups, chicken recipe, chicken and noodles, chicken soup, dinner recipe, pasta recipe