Homemade Chicken Pot Pie is the ultimate comfort food, with creamy chicken and veggies baked inside a buttery pastry pie crust. You’re going to love how simple it is to make!
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sliced celery, small diced
- 1/2 cup diced onion, small diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups cubed/shredded chicken
- 1 pie crust for a double crust pie (store-bought or homemade, like my All Butter Pie Crust), rolled out 11-12 inches in diameter to fit in a 9-inch deep dish pie plate
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Set aside a 9-inch deep dish pie plate.
- Place the frozen vegetables in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat, drain and set aside.
- In a 5- quart saucepan or Dutch oven melt the butter over medium heat. Add in the celery and onion and celery and cook until softened, 7-8 minutes. Add in the flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, and thyme and whisk until it forms a paste, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in chicken broth and the milk until incorporated; bring to a simmer and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce thickens, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove thickened sauce from the heat and add the drained vegetables and chicken and stir until the filling is well combined. Adjust seasoning if desired.
- Fit one pie pastry dough into the bottom of the pie dish. Spoon the pot pie filling into the dish, then lay the remaining pie pastry on top. Pinch and roll the top and bottom pastries together at the edges to seal. Use a sharp knife to cut several small slits in each top dough to allow steam to release while cooking.
- Place the pie plate on a baking sheet and bake for 35 – 40 minutes until browned and bubbly, checking halfway through baking to make sure the crust isn’t browning too fast. *If so, cover the crust loosely with foil or a crust shield.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords: homemade chicken pot pie, easy chicken pot pie, best chicken pot pie recipe