These easy Chocolate Chunk Orange Scones are rich, tender, and the perfect amount of sweet. The scones are made with orange zest and dark chocolate, then covered in a flavorful orange glaze!
For the Scones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup cold, salted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup chopped semi-sweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons cold heavy cream
For the Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Preheat oven to 425°F. LIne a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, granulated sugar, and salt. Cut the butter into the mixture using a pastry cutter or a fork until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Add the orange zest and the chocolate.
- Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and add 3/4 cup of the heavy cream. Mix the dough together. It should have a slightly dry texture, but not be crumbly. Add an additional 1-2 tablespoons of cream if the dough seems too dry.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead it for 1 minute. Form the dough into a round or rectangle approximately 1 inch thick and use a knife or pizza cutter to cut into 6 equal pieces.
- Arrange the pieces on the prepared baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Brush the wedges with 2 tablespoons of heavy cream and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the scones are golden and the edges are lightly toasted.
- In a bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, orange zest, and orange juice until smooth. Drizzle glaze on top of the warm scones.
- Serve warm.
I prefer these if enjoyed the same day as being made, but if you need to, store airtight at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Keywords: orange scones, chocolate chip scones, how to make scones