These indulgent Chocolate Covered Cherries are quick and easy to make with maraschino cherries and melted chocolate! They’re a great everyday treat or Valentine’s Day dessert.
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or almond extract
- 2 (8- ounce) jars maraschino cherries, drained and dried
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, mix together the powdered sugar, butter, condensed milk and vanilla extract. Using your hands, knead until it forms a thick paste. Refrigerate for an hour, or until firm and cold.
- Make sure the cherries are well drained and pat them dry. Line a large baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Set aside.
- When the mixture is firm, scoop out about 2 teaspoons and form it around each cherry, placing them on the prepared baking sheet. I find that rolling the mixture into a ball and then flattening it into a disk is the easiest way to cover the cherry.
- Place the baking sheet in the freezer for at least an hour until firm.
- When ready to assemble, melt the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments, stirring after each, until melted.
- Remove the cherries from the fridge and dip into the melted chocolate, placing back on the lined baking sheet.
- Refrigerate the cherries for about an hour until the chocolate is set and firm.
Store airtight in a cool, dry place, or the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
I like to drain the cherries and lay them out on a paper towel to dry out while the sugar mixture is chilling. The sugar paste adheres much easier to dry cherries. If your cherries are wet, you will have a mess and it will be difficult to work with.
Keywords: chocolate covered cherries, chocolate covered cherries recipe, chocolate covered fruit, cherry cordials, no bake dessert recipes, easy dessert recipes, easy dessert recipes with few ingredients