Irresistible Coconut Brownies are fudgy homemade brownies topped with a thick layer of creamy, chewy coconut and smooth chocolate icing.
- 1 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 1/3 cups shredded coconut
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted or whisked to break up lumps
- Brownies: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13- inch baking pan with parchment paper. Coat with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together melted butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Whisk until sugar is dissolved. Add the eggs and vanilla extract until smooth and combined.
- Sift in flour, cocoa powder, and salt and stir until just combined.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes on the middle rack in the oven until the brownies are just set, and a toothpick inserted 2- inches from the edge comes out clean (if you bake until completely set in the middle your brownies will be dry. Allow the brownies to cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
- Coconut Layer: When the brownies have cooled completely mix the coconut, condensed milk, and powdered sugar in a large bowl until combined. Evenly spread that on top of the brownies.
- Icing: In a large saucepan, melt the butter, cocoa powder, and milk together over medium heat until smooth. Remove from the heat and whisk in the powdered sugar until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Pour the icing on top of the coconut layer and spread gently to coat.
- Allow the icing to set up before cutting.
- You can absolutely use a boxed brownie mix for this recipe to save time.
- Store airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days or refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Keywords: homemade brownies, coconut brownies, coconut desserts