This satisfying Slow Cooker Lentil Soup is a comforting vegetarian soup recipe made with tender lentils, hearty vegetables, herbs, and spinach in a cozy broth.
- 2 cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
- 2 cups peeled and cubed russet potatoes
- 2 cups peeled and sliced carrots
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 3/4 cups green lentils (or a mix of lentils and split peas)
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup quality olive oil
- 3 cups baby spinach (or kale stems removed)
- 1 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Optional – Parmesan cheese
- Add sweet potatoes, potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes, lentils, and broth into a large slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 – 5 hours, until the lentils and vegetables are soft.
- Transfer 4 cups of the soup to a food processor or blender with the olive oil and pulse until smooth. Add this back into the slow cooker and stir to combine. Adjust seasoning now if necessary.
- Add in the spinach and parsley and stir. Place the lid back on the slow cooker and adjust to low. Cook for an additional 15 minutes, to wilt the spinach (or kale).
- Add in the vinegar and stir. Serve warm with Parmesan cheese on top if desired.
Keywords: best lentil soup recipe, vegetarian lentil soup, slow cooker soup recipes