These Soft Cream Cheese Lemon Cookies are a citrusy-buttery cookie!
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest and juice of one lemon (about 1 tablespoon zest & 2 tablespoons juice)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- In the bowl of your stand mixer mix together the cream cheese and butter on medium speed until combined and smooth. Add in the sugar and mix on medium speed for 5 minutes until pale and fluffy.
- Add in the egg, vanilla, zest, lemon juice, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Mix for 1 minute until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Turn the mixer to low and add in the flour, mixing until just combined.
- Cover the dough and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and using a medium (2- tablespoon) cookie scoop, portion out the dough. Roll each portion into a ball and place onto the baking sheet 2- inches apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the the bottoms just begin to turn golden. Don’t over-bake.
- When you remove the baking sheet form the oven, drop the sheet onto a counter or your stove top a few inches in the air 3-4 times. This will flatten the cookies slightly and make them dense, removing the air from the cookies, while also giving them a nice textured top.
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To prepare the icing, whisk together the powdered sugar, cream, and zest until smooth. Dip the tops of the cookies into the icing, and place back on the wired rack to set up.
Store airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Keywords:: cookies, cookie and cups, recipe, cookie recipe, lemon cookies