Pasta and ground Italian sausage are combined in a cheesy tomato sauce to create this Creamy Italian Sausage Pasta recipe! This easy pasta dinner is comfort food like you wouldn’t believe – your whole family will fall instantly in love with it!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (about a cup)
- 2 pounds ground Italian sausage
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 (28- ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 pound Cavatappi pasta
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 cups grated white sharp cheddar cheese
- optional – garnish with parsley (fresh or dried) and Parmesan cheese
- In a large, deep skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add in the diced onions and sauté for 5-6 minutes, until they begin to soften. Add in the ground sausage to the skillet and break the meat apart. Cook until no pink remains. Drain excess grease and return the to heat.
- With the heat still on medium, add in the garlic, basil, oregano, salt, red pepper, and flour. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly to coat.
- Add in the tomato sauce and broth and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering, boil the Cavatappi pasta according to pasta directions. Drain.
- Add the half and half and pasta to the sauce, stirring to combine. Add in the grated cheese and stir until melted.
- Garnish with parsley and grated Parmesan if desired and serve immediately.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords: sausage pasta recipes, italian sausage pasta, sausage pasta