These Crispy Coconut Chicken Strips can be an easy weeknight meal or a quick-fix party appetizer! Make them as mild or as spicy as you’d like with cayenne pepper for a great sweet & spicy combo!
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 3/4 cups panko crumbs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- vegetable oil for frying
- Sweet Red Chili Sauce for dipping (optional)
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, and sriracha sauce. Set aside.
- In a medium, shallow dish combine the coconut, panko, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Dip the chicken strips in the egg mixture to coat, and then into the coconut mixture, coating completely. Transfer the chicken strips onto a plate and repeat the process with all the strips.
- Turn the oven on to the lowest (or warm) setting, this is usually 160°F. Line a large baking sheet with paper towels and set aside.
- In 10- inch frying pan fill the pan 1/3- inch deep with vegetable oil. Heat the oil over medium heat until it reaches a temperature of 375°, or until small bubbles form when the back of a wooden spoon is placed in the oil.
- In batches place the chicken in the pan, careful not to crowd the pan. Fry 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. When the chicken is done, transfer to the paper towel-lined baking sheet and place in the oven to stay warm. Repeat with all the chicken.
- Serve warm with dipping sauce, if desired.
I usually double this recipe for my family of 6.
Option to Bake: Bake chicken at 400°F for 25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Keywords:: coconut chicken recipe, homemade chicken strips, how to make chicken strips, chicken strips recipe, chicken strips, coconut chicken, spicy chicken recipe