Crispy Crab Balls with Chipotle Tartar Sauce are the perfect holiday, game day or party appetizer, but they’re also perfect for any weeknight dinner! Loaded with crab meat, buttery cracker crumbs and spicy Old Bay seasoning, they’re simple to whip up and a guaranteed crowd pleaser!
Chipotle tartar sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle in adobo)
- 2 tablespoons dill relish
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup finely crushed Ritz crackers
- 1 pound crab meat
- zest of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- vegetable oil for frying
Chipotle Tartar sauce
- In a medium bowl mix together mayonnaise, adobo sauce, relish, lemon juice, and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the crushed Ritz, crab, lemon zest, lemon juice, Old Bay, and parsley. Mix until evenly combined.
- Form the mixture into 1 1/2- inch balls.
- Fill a large skillet 1/4- inch deep with oil. Heat oil on medium until it reaches 350°F. (Trick – place the tip of the handle of a wooden spoon into the oil. If bubbles form immediately, the oil is ready.) Place the balls in batches into the oil, frying until they are golden brown (about 3 minutes on each side). Transfer the balls to a paper towel lined plate, and repeat with remaining balls.
- Serve warm with Chipotle Tartar Sauce.
The Chipotle Mayonnaise can be made up to 5 days in advance. Keep refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to use.
Keywords: crab recipe, crab appetizer, crab balls recipe, crab balls, easy appetizer, easy appetizer for party, easy appetizer for a crowd, best appetizer recipe, tartar sauce recipe