This Bread Pudding recipe is an easy family dessert favorite. Challah bread cubes are soaked in a sweet custard and baked until brown and crispy. Serve it warm with a scoop of ice cream for the most comforting dessert around!
- 7 – 8 cups cubed challah bread (1- inch cubes)
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Optional – 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips, raisins, or chopped nuts (or any combination)
- Optional – 1 – 2 tablespoons powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 2- quart baking dish with nonstick spray. Place the bread cubes in the prepared pan and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat combine the milk, butter, salt, sugar, and vanilla. Heat, stirring frequently until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved. Once the butter is melted, remove from heat and allow to cool to lukewarm.
- When mixture is cooled, whisk in the eggs until combined. Pour mixture evenly on top of the bread cubes, making sure all the top pieces are coated in liquid.
- Sprinkle evenly with turbinado sugar and chocolate chips, raisins, or nuts.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes, or until the custard is set and the top of the bread is lightly toasted. If you notice the bread is toasting too quickly or getting too brown, lightly tent with aluminum foil.
- Allow to cool and set for at least 20 minutes before serving.
Can be served warm or at room temperature.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 1 scoop
- Calories: 709
- Sugar: 26.1 g
- Sodium: 1389.3 mg
- Fat: 11.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 125.5 g
- Protein: 27.1 g
- Cholesterol: 78.9 mg
Keywords: challah bread pudding recipe, bread pudding sauce, best bread pudding, how to make bread pudding, easy bread pudding