These simple Butter Cookies are a homemade version of the classic that comes in the blue tin, only BETTER!
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup coarse sugar or sprinkles for rolling
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the butter and granulated sugar together for 2 minutes. Add in the egg yolk, vanilla, salt, and baking powder, and mix until combined and smooth, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl as necessary.
- Turn the mixer to low and add in the flour until just incorporated. Divide the dough in half and roll each half into a 1 1/2- inch thick log. Sprinkle the coarse sugar onto a clean counter and roll each log into the sugar, coating evenly.
- Wrap each log in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator, unwrap, and slice each log into 1/4- inch rounds. Place cookies onto the prepared baking sheet 1- inch apart. Bake for 15 – 18 minutes, until the edges are golden brown. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 3 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store airtight at room temperature for up to 7 days.
Keywords: danish butter cookies, easy butter cookies