Craving Chinese takeout? Before you make an order, consider making this homemade Orange Chicken! Crispy breaded chicken is fried and then coated in a sweet and spicy orange sauce for a delicious dinner.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Chicken: Set your oven to warm. Line a large baking sheet with paper towels and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the egg and olive oil. Set aside.
- Add the cornstarch, flour, and salt into a large zip-top bag, shaking to combine.
- Add the chicken in portions to the egg mixture and then into the bag with the flour mixture, shaking to coat evenly. Place coated chicken on a plate and set aside. Repeat with all the chicken.
- Add the vegetable oil in a deep Dutch Oven or large skillet until it’s 2 – 3 inches deep. Heat the oil over medium heat until it reaches a temperature of 350°F.
- Working in 3 batches, add the chicken to the hot oil and fry until golden brown, 3 – 4 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon remove the chicken from the oil and place on a prepared baking sheet and place in the warm oven. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Sauce: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the orange juice, sesame oil, soy sauce, granulated sugar, vinegar, water, ginger, garlic, and red pepper and bring to a boil.
- Mix together the remaining water and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add this to the boiling sauce and cook for 2-3 more minutes until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and place in a large bowl. Pour the orange sauce on top of the chicken, gently mixing to coat each piece.
- Serve with rice if desired.
This recipe makes enough sauce to coat the chicken. If you prefer more sauce for rice, you can easily increase the amounts by 50%, or even double it.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords: panda express orange chicken, orange chicken recipes