This Skillet Apple Pie Recipe is a simple twist on the classic dessert! An easy pie filled with apples tossed in a homemade caramel sauce, then topped with Breyers Vanilla Ice cream just before serving. Could you ask for a more perfect apple dessert?
- 4 pounds Granny Smith Apples, peeled and sliced into 1/2– inch slices
- 1 3/4 cup light brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 (round 12-inch) pie crusts, homemade or store bought
- 1 egg white, whisked
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl combine apple slices, 3/4 cup brown sugar, flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cinnamon. Stir to coat the apples evenly. Set aside.
- In a 10-inch cast iron skillet melt the butter and remaining 1 cup of brown sugar together over medium heat, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes, continuing to stir constantly, and remove immediately from the heat.
- Place one of the pie crusts evenly OVER the brown sugar in the skillet and carefully up the edges. Pour the apples into the bottom crust. Top the apples with the remaining pie crust, pinching the edges to seal the pie.
- Lightly brush the egg white onto the top crust, and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Place the skillet on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 60 -70 minutes until the pie is golden brown and bubbly. If necessary shield the crust of the pie with aluminum foil for the last 10 minutes of baking to prevent burning.
Keywords:: skillet apple pie recipe, homemade apple pie, easy apple pie recipe, how to make apple pie