Victoria Sponge Cake is a traditional sponge cake recipe that’s soft, spongy, and made with simple ingredients. Perfect for layering with jam and homemade whipped cream!
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, whisked at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
Optional – fresh raspberries to garnish
- Cake: Preheat the oven to 350 F. Coat two 8- inch round cake pans with baking spray and line the bottoms with parchment paper rounds. Coat again and set aside.
- In a bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the butter, sugar, and salt together on medium-high speed for 2 minutes. Add in the vanilla and then the whisked eggs slowly, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Mix for 1 minute.
- Turn the mixer to low speed and slowly mix in the flour until just combined and the batter is smooth. Divide the batter between the prepared cake pans and smooth with a spatula.
- Bake for 17 – 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown, the cake springs back when gently pressed in the center, and the edges are starting to pull away from the sides of the pan. Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes and then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely, peeling the parchment paper off the cake.
- Filling: In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment mix the cream and powdered sugar together on high speed for 1 minute, or until stiff peaks form.
- Place one cake on a cake plate and top with raspberry jam. Spread the whipped cream on top of the jam and place the remaining cake layer on top.
- Garnish: Dust the top of the cake with powdered sugar and arrange fresh berries on top or around the cake.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords: sponge cake, victoria sponge cake, sponge cake recipe