- 4 cups strawberries, rinsed and quartered
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Place strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook, stirring constantly. Turn heat down to medium-low and boil for 10-15 minutes until the strawberries are completely soft, and mixture is slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Using a potato masher or pastry cutter, mash the strawberries until they are completely mashed.
- Use a fine mesh strainer to strain the strawberry liquid into a glass bowl or jar. Syrup will thicken up as it cools.
- Serve warm or chilled.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.