Flourless Chocolate Cake is dense, fudgy, and super easy to make with only 5 ingredients! The ultimate Valentine’s dessert!
- 12– ounces semi- sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup salted butter
- 5 eggs separated, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9- inch springform pan with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a heat-safe bowl set on top of a sauce pot of simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter together until smooth. Remove the bowl from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Separate the eggs, placing the yolks in a large bowl and the whites into the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
- Using a hand mixer, beat the egg yolks in the large bowl until the are a pale yellow color and thickened, 3-4 minutes. Slowly add in the melted chocolate and mix until combined. Set aside.
- Add in cream of tartar into the bowl of your stand mixer with the egg whites. Beat the whites on medium-high speed until foamy. Add in the granulated sugar a little bit at a time with the mixer still on medium high speed. Once all the granulated sugar is added, continue mixing egg whites until thick, glossy, and stiff peaks form.
- Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Place the pan on a larger baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs. Be careful not to over-bake. Cake will puff up and get crackly.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan placed on a wire rack.
- When the cake is completely cooled loosen the cake from the sides using a butter knife. Remove the sides of the springform pan.
- Dust with powdered sugar or top with whipped cream and raspberries if desired.
Store airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days.
PRO TIP: I recommend separating the eggs while cold and then allowing them to come up to room temperature after. They are easier to separate cold, as the yolk is less likely to break.
Keywords:: cookies and cups, flourless chocolate cake, chocolate cake, cake recipe, gluten free, passover dessert, best flourless chocolate cake