Frog Eye Salad is a sweet summer salad with fruit, custard, whipped topping, and pasta! It’s a texture and flavor delight, and is the perfect side dish recipe for your summer BBQ!
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup small pasta like acini di pepe or ditalini
- 20 ounce can pineapple chunks, drained
- 10 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
- 15 ounce jar mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed
- In a small saucepan over medium heat whisk together the pineapple juice, sugar, egg yolk, salt and cornstarch until smooth.
- Cook until the mixture comes to a low boil and thickens slightly. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain and cool.
- When everything is cooled completely, combine the pasta and the thickened sauce in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Once the pasta mixture has chilled completely, transfer it to a larger serving bowl. Stir in the pineapple chunks, crushed pineapple, mandarin oranges, coconut, and marshmallows until evenly combined.
- Fold in the Cool Whip and serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
You can also drain the pineapple and use the juices instead of wasting it. Just refrigerate the pineapple until ready to use.
Store up to 3 days airtight in the refrigerator
Keywords: frog eye salad, frogs eye salad, frog eye salad recipe, frogged eye salad