Homemade Mallomars take the classic cookie to a new level: sweet graham cookies are topped with homemade marshmallow and dipped in silky chocolate.
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 15 full sheets graham crackers finely crushed)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Marshmallow and Chocolate Coating
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup room temperature water, divided
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounces chopped semi-sweet chocolate
- Cookies: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the graham cracker crumbs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula stir in the melted butter, egg, and vanilla until evenly combined.
- Using a small (1- tablespoon) cookie scoop portion the dough out onto the prepared baking sheet, 2- inches apart. Bake for 8-9 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden and the tops are set.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Marshmallow: Combine the gelatin and 1/4 cup of water in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Allow this mixture to sit while you make your sugar syrup. The gelatin will dissolve and become thick.
- In a medium saucepan (with deep sides) on medium heat combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and remaining 1/4 cup water. Stir constantly until the sugar dissolves, then increase the heat to medium-high. Allow the mixture to cook without stirring until it reaches 240°F on a candy thermometer and remove the pan from the heat.
- Turn your stand mixer onto low speed and slowly pour the sugar syrup into the dissolved gelatin. When combined, increase the mixer speed to high speed beat until thick, about 10 minutes. Don’t over-mix, as it will become dry and too thick to pipe, but you want it to hold its shape.
- Add in the vanilla extract and mix to combine, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Spoon the marshmallow into a piping bag fitted with a large round tip (alternately you don’t have to use a piping tip, just snip off the edge of the bag).
- Pipe a low swirl of the marshmallow onto the cookies and allow the marshmallow to set up for at least an hour.
- Chocolate Coating: Place the chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe deep, medium sized bowl. Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each, until the chocolate is melted.
- Dip the tops of the cookies in the melted chocolate, coating the marshmallow and cookie. Place on a wire rack or wax paper. Allow the chocolate to set at room temperature or place in the refrigerator to set quicker.
Store airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days for best freshness, I don’t recommend freezing these cookies.
Keywords:: cookies and cups, homemade mallomars, mallomars, marshmallows, graham crackers, cookie recipe