This spiced Sweet Potato Pie is such a smooth and luxurious dessert! Made with fresh or canned sweet potatoes, your family will love this easy homemade pie.
- 2 large sweet potatoes (2 cups mashed)
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten and room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Clean the sweet potatoes and bake for 45-55 minutes until very soft. Allow the potatoes to cool.
- Reduce heat on the oven to 350°F.
- Roll out your pie dough to 12-inches in diameter. Place the dough in a 9×2-inch (deep dish) pie plate. Set aside or into the refrigerator if not ready to bake yet.
- Once cooled, peel the skin from the potatoes and mash until smooth. You will need 2 cups of mashed sweet potatoes. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the butter and 3/4 cup of granulated sugar together for 1 minute. Add in the mashed sweet potatoes, evaporated milk, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and mix for another minute until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Pour the pie filling into the unbaked pie crust. Sprinkle the top of the filling with the remaining 1/4 cup of granulated sugar. Allow the pie to sit for 10 minutes to allow the sugar time to dissolve/melt.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Pie will puff up and then sink back down as it cools.
- Allow the pie to cool completely on a wire rack.
You can use canned sweet potatoes if you don’t want to roast them.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords: sweet potato pie recipe, how to make sweet potato pie, old fashioned sweet potato pie, homemade sweet potato pie, easy sweet potato pie, best sweet potato pie recipe