Easy shredded chicken can be made in under 25 minutes, perfect for meal prep, dinner ideas and more!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat and place the chicken in the skillet. Season the top of the chicken with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until browned. Flip the chicken over, season the other side with salt and pepper and cook for 4 – 5 more minutes until browned on both side.
- Add the chicken broth, cover the skillet with a lid and cook for 7-10 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165°F. This time will vary depending on the thickness and size of the chicken breasts.
- Remove the chicken from the pan to shred. You can use two forks to shred the chicken on a plate or place the chicken in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Lock the mixer head and start on low speed, increasing to medium-low. The chicken will shred in under 20 seconds. The longer you mix, the smaller the chicken shreds will be. Alternately you can use an electric hand mixer for this step as well. Just shred on low speed.
- Add a little juice from the pan back into the chicken to add moisture and flavor.
- Use the shredded chicken as needed, or store for later use.
store airtight in the refrigerator for 3 – 4 days.
freeze airtight for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before using.
Keywords: cookies and cups, chicken recipe, shredded chicken, dinner idea