Instant Pot Butter Chicken is a savory and satisfying one-pot chicken curry recipe, cooked in a rich, buttery tomato gravy with warm spices and a touch of cream.
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs or Breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 Tablespoons Oil or Ghee
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh Ginger
- 5 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon Garam Masala, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander
- 1 can (14 oz) Diced or Crushed Tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- Fresh Cilantro, for garnish
- Turn on the Instant Pot and press the “Sauté” button. Once it is hot, add the oil or ghee and let it melt. Add the diced onion and cook until it is soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger to the onions and cook for 1 minute more stirring constantly, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add 1 teaspoon garam masala, coriander and cumin, cook for about 30 seconds stirring constantly.
- Add the tomatoes, paprika, turmeric, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes. If you’ve used crushed tomatoes, puree the mixture with an immersion blender.
- Add the chicken pieces to the pureed tomato sauce. Make sure to completely cover the chicken with liquid. If there isn’t enough liquid add 1?4 cup of water.
- Cancel the “Sauté” mode and close the Instant Pot lid. Set the valve to “Sealing” and press the “Pressure Cook” button. Set the timer for 6 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, let the Instant Pot naturally release pressure for 10 minutes, then use the quick release to release any remaining pressure.
- Open the Instant Pot lid and stir in the remaining 1 teaspoon garam masala, butter and heavy cream. Turn on the “Sauté” mode again and let the sauce simmer for 5 minutes until it thickens slightly. Stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot with rice or naan bread.
Keywords: instant pot butter chicken, butter chicken recipe, indian butter chicken