- 1 1/2 cup butter (3 sticks), room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Coat a 10- inch bundt pan liberally with shortening and dust with powdered sugar. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the butter and sugar together for 2 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla and eggs and mix until smooth. Add in the cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda and mix until incorporated, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add in the flour and buttermilk in alternating portions, beginning and ending with the flour, until just combined.
- Finally stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter into the prepared bundt pan and bake for 60-70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 20-30 minutes and then invert the pan onto a cake plate.
- In a medium saucepan combine butter, cocoa powder and milk over medium heat, whisking until melted together. Remove from heat and whisk in powdered sugar.
- Pour icing over the cake and allow icing to set before serving.