These thick brownie cookies are topped with a cool peppermint patty and a silky layer of chocolate ganache
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 24 small peppermint patties, unwrapped
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the 8 ounces of chocolate into a heat-safe bowl. Fill a small saucepan with about 1 inch of water and bring to a simmer. Place the bowl over the simmering water, stirring consistently until melted. Alternately you can do this step in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring until smooth. Set melted chocolate aside to cool slightly.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar for 1 minute on medium speed until combined. Add in the eggs, vanilla, baking powder, and cocoa powder and mix for 1 minute until combined and smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. Turn mixer to low and add in the melted chocolate, mixing until evenly incorporated.
- With the mixer still on low add in the flour and mix until just combined.
- Allow the dough to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes, to reach room temperature. Dough will thicken as the melted chocolate cools making it a very thick cookie dough.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a medium (2- tablespoon) cookie scoop, portion out the dough and place on prepared baking sheet 2- inches apart. If your cookie scoop isn’t strong enough for the dough portion it out using a spoon and roll the dough into a loose ball and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes, until the edges are set. The tops might seem slightly soft, this is fine.
- As soon as the cookies come out of the oven, press a peppermint patty into the top.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Prepare Ganache: Place the chopped chocolate in a medium bowl. Heat the cream in the microwave or on the stove top until it’s steaming but not boiling. Pour the hot cream over top of the chocolate and stir until melted and smooth.
- Allow the ganache to cool for 20 minutes, or until it’s spreadable consistency.
- Spread about 2 teaspoons of the ganache on top of each peppermint patty.
- Allow the ganache to set up.
Store airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Keywords:: cookies and cups, cookie recipe, mint cookie, brownie cookie, peppermint patty, peppermint patty cookie