This Pumpkin Cake with Maple Frosting is perfection! It’s so light and fluffy with browned butter maple buttercream frosting! This cake is the perfect fall dessert.
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (like Libby’s canned pumpkin)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat 2 8- inch round pans with nonstick spray. Line the bottoms of the pans with parchment paper cut to fit, and spray again. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine the cake mix, pumpkin, milk, oil, eggs and pumpkin pie spice. Mix on low to combine for 30 seconds and then turn the mixer up to medium and continue mixing for 2 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Divide the batter between the two pans evenly and bake for 25-35 minutes until the centers of the cake is set and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then remove the cakes from the pans and allow to cool on a wire rack until cooled completely.
- While the cake is baking place the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. When the butter is melted and begins to boil begins swirling (or stirring) the pan to prevent the fat solids from sticking to the bottom of the pan and burning. Continue cooking the butter until it becomes a deep amber color. Remove from the heat and cool for 5 minutes. Place the pan in the refrigerator so the butter chills and becomes solid again.
- When you’re ready to make your frosting remove the butter from the fridge and allow the butter to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes to take the chill off.
- Scrape the browned butter into the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until creamy. Turn the mixer to low and add in the powdered sugar.
- Slowly add in the maple syrup and turn the mixer up to medium to mix until creamy, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Level one of the cakes with a serrated knife. Place this layer on a cake plate. Top this layer with a little less than half of the frosting and smooth with an off-set spatula. Place the remaining cake on top and top that with the rest of the frosting.
- Drizzle a little more maple syrup on top if desired.
Keywords:: pumpkin cake recipe, easy pumpkin cake, pumpkin dessert recipe, pumpkin cake, maple frosting, easy pumpkin dessert, fall dessert