This is my go-to Recipe for Royal Icing. It only uses 4 ingredients and I use it on all the cookies that I decorate!
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tbsp meringue powder
- 1 pound box of powdered sugar (approximately 4 cups), sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or any flavor you prefer)
- With paddle attachment mix the water and meringue powder on low until combined then on high about 1 minute until foamy.
- Add the powdered sugar on low speed a little at a time, add extract and then mix on medium to blend together. Now mix on high for 4-5 minutes until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- I separate and color the icing at this point.
- With the icing as is, it is perfect for outlining cookies and adding embellishments.
- If you are planning on flooding your cookies, add water, 1 teaspoon at a time,until you get the consistency of corn syrup.
- If you add too much water, sift in more powdered sugar.
If you want a pure white frosting, use clear vanilla or omit extract.
Store with cling wrap pressed against icing to prevent crusting, and then in an airtight container.
Keywords:: royal icing recipe, easy royal icing recipe, royal icing recipe for cookies, best royal icing recipe, cookies royal icing recipe, royal icing recipe with meringue powder, icing recipe, icing recipe sugar cookies, vanilla frosting recipe